Sunday, September 21, 2008

NoobTube



So the promotional video I posted on YouTube to encourage fans and casual viewers alike to vote for Alizée in Los Premios MTV 2008 (and explain in plain English how they might go about doing it) has surpassed 500 views so far, while the mirror that Ruroshen hosted for me on his account has garnered a little over 200. While that’s not bad considering how little exposure it’s had, I’ve decided against producing alternate versions for La Isla Bonita and other Alizée videos as I’d originally planned. Given that it took me the better part of three days to cut the first one together, and there’s apparently only a little more than a week left to vote, the return on investment just isn’t high enough.

The whole point of the exercise, you see, was to post them as Video Responses to the most highly-trafficked Alizée clips on YouTube—not a bad strategy, given the incredible number views some of those videos rack up in a single day. Unfortunately, what I didn’t realize is that a) the newness of my account, which I created just under a week ago specifically to do this, would apparently prevent me from posting video responses, and b) that the owner of the video you’re responding to has to approve it before it’ll even show up as a response on their page.

Ruroshen was kind enough to solve the first problem for me by offering to mirror the video on his account, which he’s had for awhile…but unfortunately we’ve both been stymied by the fact that the dude who posted the video we’re trying to respond to hasn’t logged on in about a week. By the time he does log on, the window for voting could very likely have already closed…if he even chooses to approve the response in the first place.

Argh. While I get the rationale behind it—clearly everyone should have the right to veto the type of content that appears on their page in relation to their own work—it’s frustrating, nonetheless.

Oh well, so much for viral marketing. At least it’s been well-received by the few who have seen it. Big thanks to Ruroshen for hosting the mirror and posting it over at Alizée America, and to AC Mix for doing the same over at Lilly Town USA (and saying some very kind words about it, besides). You’re both gentlemen and scholars, good sirs. It’s greatly appreciated.

3 comments:

  1. What do you mean 'so much for viral marketing' - you did great! It is difficult to get people to do things. Keep at it, have fun with and get some sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, found one of your discs (disques) and while I dunno if I'm all about the music personally, the visual elements were incredibly grabbing. Haven't actually listened/looked through the whole thing yet, going to pass it to a friend who is sure to appreciate it more. Not that I don't... reading through this blog you sound a lil self-defeating, don't think people aren't noticing this 'cause I obviously did... don't expect MTV to roll up to your door overnight or anything :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ chris orbz: Awesome, sir. I appreciate your taking the time to post and let me know what you thought. While music is obviously a very subjective thing, I think Alizée's might grow on you if you give it a chance (especially after repeated viewings of the arresting visuals). Thanks for offering to pass it on, too--spreading awareness is what Op Drop is all about!

    @ aw: Thanks for your encouragement as well, man. It's always appreciated.

    ReplyDelete