Friday, September 5, 2008

The hardest-working Canadian in show business!

I yet live!

My apologies for the lack of updates this week, folks. Though I was between jobs when I first began this mad crusade of mine, I’ve since become gainfully employed. On the bright side, this means I no longer have to make the unenviable choice of either funding Operation: Disque Drop or eating this month. The downside is, of course, less time in which to actually devote to the many responsibilities of Op Drop, only one of which is coming up with new blog content.

It’s a vicious cycle, I tells ya.

This doesn’t mean I’ve completely abandoned my post, however—I am, after all, the hardest working Canadian in show business. (Thanks, aw!) Most of my free time this week has been devoted to finalizing the contents of the Mark IV disques I teased on Tuesday. The biggest upgrade to hit Op Drop yet, the Mark IV’s are DVDs, playable in most set-top DVD players, which negates the whole ‘will this obviously home-made disque give my computer a virus?’ drawback of the earlier CD-ROMs. Hopefully, the convenience and perceived safety of a DVD will entice more of the people who discover a dropped disque to actually play the thing!


Size matters not? Pfft, whatever!

The Mark IV’s also have one other pretty big edge over the previous iterations: they’re freakin’ huge! While a CD-R holds about 750 mb of data, a DVD-R can hold up to 4.6 gb worth! This translates into the ability for Op Drop to pack more Alizée into its ‘Alizée Fan Start Kits’. Much more Alizée—whereas the Mark I and II disques contained only five measly little AVI videos, the Mark IV now contains over an hour of fan-favorite music videos, television appearances, and live performances.

(The mp3s and desktop wallpapers from the previous disques are still there, but the end user is still going to have to pop the disque into their PC to find them, relegating them more to ‘bonus content’ rather than being the main attraction.)

It’s a veritable Alizée cornucopia, a collection of the videos that a large portion of Lili’s existing fanbase attribute to making them fans in the first place…playable not just in a little browser window on YouTube, but full-screen on virtually any TV and DVD player. If this doesn’t convert me some Lili-heathens, I don’t know what will.

More to come on the selections that made it onto the disque, and my rationale for choosing them later…and, as promised earlier, a few ideas on where the Mark IV’s will make their first appearance. For now, it’s time for Op Drop to rush off to its day job…

What can I say? A hard-workin' Canadian's work is never done.

No comments:

Post a Comment